Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Mmm, banana bread :)

Is there anything better than something (homemade) fresh from the oven? Especially when you're six and a half months pregnant, and that nagging voice in the back of your head has been itching for banana bread for the last, well, six and a half months.

I finally caved and made some this evening. Thanks to my handy-dandy vegan cookbook (stay tuned next time for a link!), and my own vegan baking knowledge, I put together a scrumptious (and healthy, woo!) loaf tonight.

Here's the recipe;

2 Cups whole wheat flour
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon salt
3/4 Cup pure maple syrup (it's more expensive, but having switched from imitation, I've noticed a significant [and much better] difference)
3 Medium (approximately 1 1/2 cups), very ripe bananas
1 Teaspoon aluminium-free baking powder ('cause who wants heavy metals in their food?!)
1/2 Cup distilled water
1/4 Cup canola oil
1/4 Cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 Cup chopped pecans, or nut of choice (optional)

-Preheat oven to 350 (F). Lightly grease an 8 x 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 -inch loaf pan.
-In medium mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt.
-In separate mixing bowl, mash bananas (a potato masher works great!) and add maple syrup. In a small cup, mix together baking powder with water, and add to the syrup/banana mixture, stir to combine. Add applesauce, canola oil, and pecans (if using), and mix.
-Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir only until combined.
-Pour into prepared loaf pan.
-Bake at 350 (F) for 75 minutes (but check on after an hour), or until a butter knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
-Remove loaf from pan and allow to cool completely.

Of course, I couldn't wait for it to cool completely, and had to have a slice 20 minutes after it came out. It's not overly sweet, the natural ripeness of the bananas, mixed with maple syrup give it enough sweetness for my tastes.

I enjoyed my slice spread with (organic) chunky peanut butter (this coming from the girl that hates peanut butter and banana sandwiches) and a tall glass of soy milk. It's also good plain, or with your choice of margarine.

I will give credit where it is due, and I (impersonally) thank Lois Dieterly (author of my favorite vegan dessert cookbook, Sinfully Vegan) for the above recipe, of course, I did a lot of my own thing to it, so it's a combination of her recipe, plus my recipe.

Please stay tuned for links. And the pictures I promised.

-Cassie

PS; There's only 14 weeks (give or take) of my pregnancy to go, and still so much to be done. I'm becoming overwhelmed (but not all in a bad way). I'm also getting kicked like freakin' crazy, and am honestly waiting for an alien to burst out of my stomach and eat me, then Dennis. But I have to remind myself it's a baby, and this is real life, not a cheesy science fiction movie :)

And the crazy pregnancy dreams you might hear pregnant woman talk about? About having a litter of puppies or kittens? Yeah. They've started too. Except mine was a little backwards. I had one puppy, and then it transformed into a human.. Then I had a separate dream that I had (human) quadruplets. Oh boy, what am I in for? :)

1 comment:

Donna M. Condida said...

Yummmm....that recipe sounds delicious! Definitely trying this one!!!! I really need to grab a copy of her book.

As for the baby....wait, in a few more weeks, as the baby begins to grow, and stretch, it WILL seem as though you have an alien ready to burst from within. LOL

And the dreams....oh boy! I must be doing the 'sympathy pregnancy' thing with you on this one too....my dreams have been insanely wild! Monsters, rising water, deserted back roads, dead people and I've given birth to a kitten.

And please, please eat ALL the peanut butter you can....for both you and myself....since I can't go near the stuff! I'm craving it like mad!!!!

I'll be glad when your baby is here and this craziness stops! LOL

Love,

Mom